Friday, June 8, 2012

Sepa Island


The water was so amazingly clear and a very beautiful teal blue. When one of the girls asked me if I wanted to snorkel and I said no she was shocked. After she kept asking me why not I finally admitted my fear of the "things that live in the water". I told her that even though I go swimming I never go out super far and I hate that I can’t see what is in the water when I am swimming. She wouldn’t take no for an answer though and she said that I should just sit on the steps of the dock and put on the mask and look into the water.



 After she got me to the steps and I looked in, it was quite amazing, but my fear of touching anything poisonous, or having a shark come still kept me from leaving the small area next to the stairs. After the others went out to the reef I sulked back to my beach chair, even though I wanted to go I was still very anxious. So I decided to just go by myself very close to shore. Even though there was not reef that close to shore there was still so much life underwater. I saw these crayfish digging holes that were being guarded by fish and I saw a few different species of these small white fish that you can’t see from above the water. I realized that once you can see what’s in the water with you it’s not so scary.
Driving to the island!

The island with the amazing reef we snorkeled
Snorkel buddies
The next day before we left the island the girls and I paid a man with a boat to take us to another island to snorkel. There is no one on the island and they told us the reef is in much better condition. I had no idea that it would be so beautiful! I went with the two girls who are licensed scuba divers and they made sure that the current wouldn’t take me away. I can’t believe that there are such colorful fish, amazing alien creatures, sponges, coral, starfish, and sea urchins that I would have missed seeing because I was actually afraid of them. I am so glad that I was kind of forced into trying it out from the dock, I think that the one girl knew I wanted to go deep down, and I am so glad she helped me find the amazing world under the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment