Monday, May 16, 2011

Finally...Arriving at Duke

Yesterday was officially two weeks that I have been here at Duke University in Durham, NC. I feel like it was only yesterday that I submitted my application to the summer research program here and then waited the agonizing 2 months to find out if I would get the chance to do research with lemurs. Now that I've gotten the grand tour of the Duke Lemur Center and the lab I will be working in I still can not believe I am here.
Since I have arrived I have been staying in a cabin on the Duke Lemur Center property, it is located next to two of the free-ranging enclosures so you can hear the lemurs giving their alarm calls loud and clear in the mornings and early evenings. My mind had no idea what I was hearing when I first arrived because I had never heard a lemur before.

Since I have been staying at the cabin I have encountered many little creatures living around the place. Like some very cool skinks, little gecko-like reptiles, they are super quick to run away so many of my pictures are not nearly this good.

Also in my bike rides around the property I have encountered a beautiful fox, he does not seem to be afraid of me because we both stopped and stared at each other for a long time until he became bored of my incessant staring and wandered off. Hopefully next time we meet I will have my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment